By Newark Police
The Newark Police Department encourages residents to be aware of possible scams when donating to relief efforts for Superstorm Sandy.
To ensure donations are going to a reputable charity and that the funds are being used for the intended purposes, follow these tips to avoid a scam.
- Make donations to established organizations with a strong track record of organizing and providing disaster relief.
- Initiate the donation yourself, rather than responding to online or phone solicitations.
- Avoid door-to-door solicitors or offers from charities to stop by a consumer’s home to pick up a check. These too could be fraudulent.
- Do not be pressured by pitches from solicitors. Legitimate charities will not push you to donate immediately.
- Be wary of charities that ask for alternate forms of payment. Legitimate charities allow you to donate when and how much you want.