20 Easy and Smart Ideas Ideas to Improve Your Home
What is your home’s first impression? Do you want to add more pizzazz but are not sure where to start? How about a few changes to improve your home’s curb appeal and around your home? You can add value and enjoy your improvements every day inside and outside your home. Most folks want to know how much their project will add value to their home. Here’s what an average “minor kitchen remodel” will get you across the USA for costs spent and potentially recouped courtesy of REALTOR® Magazine. These costs vary across the county. As always, check with your local city planning and building officials, and your homeowner’s association before starting projects.
Minor Kitchen Remodel
Job Cost: $18,527
Resale Value: $13,977
Cost Recouped: 75.4 percent
Here are some ideas to improve your home that you may find useful:
- Increase your home’s curb appeal. Buy a new doormat.
- Trim bushes so they don’t block windows and cut down on light. Trim dead branches.
- Put a pot of bright flowers on your porch. If you have the space you can add a bench or garden ornament.
- Put a new door knob on your front door.
- Edge the grass around driveway, walks and trees. Add new mulch if it’s time.
- Clean your gutters.
- Spruce up your mailbox and clean out whatever that is in the back of the mailbox.
- Clean the area around your house numbers.
- Try lighting that’s eco friendly. See what else you can do to cut energy costs by going green.
- Have an experienced home inspector or licensed contractor inspect your home to look at areas you don’t normally see. Then fix a little problem before it becomes a big one.
- Change the batteries for your smoke /carbon monoxide detectors.
- Find an inspiration to guide your home decoration. Look at what you love.
- Make a centerpiece for your table with fruit, flowers or mementos you enjoy.
- Buy new towels.
- How about new pillows for the sofa? Or you can add accent colors in lamp shades and art. When you want a new look it easier to can swap them out for another color or style.
- Buy a flowering plant and put it in a window you pass by frequently.
- Replace heavy curtains with sheer ones that let in more light.
- Encourage the children to put away their toys.
- Clean your home and donate items that the children’s have outgrown or you don’t need any more to charity. Someone else can enjoy the outgrown toys.
- Paint is a simple and cost effective way to change the look in one of your rooms. Neutral colors appeal to many people and you can use pillows, lamps, throws and rugs for the more vibrant colors.
Harbor Bay Realty