From the City of Fremont
Each year Fremont residents buy thousands of Christmas trees that could end up in landﬁlls if they are not properly composted. You can reduce the environmental impact of the holiday season by purchasing and then planting a live tree, using an artiﬁcial (reusable) tree, or having Allied Waste pick up your tree at the curb (if you have curbside service) to be composted.
Cut, live trees are compostable if they are free of all decorations, tinsel, nails, and tree stands (including the wooden kind, nailed to the bottom of the trunk). Any tree that is ﬂocked , contains fire retardant, decorations, or tinsel cannot be composted and will be disposed of in the landfill.
There are three different ways you can compost your cut tree in Fremont:
1. Allied Waste Curbside Pickup Service
- Who: Fremont residents who have curbside yardwaste, recycling, and garbage service with Allied Waste.
- When: Dec. 31, 2012 to Jan. 11, 2013, on your scheduled collection day. Remember, collection is one day late Jan. 1– 4. Cost: There is no extra charge for this service.
- How: No need to call to request this service. Simply leave your tree out using one of the following methods:
- A. Green Organics Bin - Cut compostable tree so pieces ﬁ t loosely in your organics bin with the lid closed.Place the bin at the curb on your scheduled collection day.
- B. Gutter - If your tree is less than 6 feet in length, place the whole tree in the gutter on your collection day. If your tree is over 6 feet in length, cut the tree in half and place both halves in the gutter on your collection day. Make sure your tree is in the gutter, not on the sidewalk. Make sure your tree is free of all decorations when placed in the gutter; this helps keep our storm drains litter free.
- C. Garbage Bin - (Please use this only as the last option. Compost your tree ﬁrst, if possible.)For a non-compostable tree, please cut it up so pieces ﬁ t loosely in your garbage bin with the lid closed. Place the bin at the curb on your scheduled collection day.
2. Drop off at Allied Waste Customer Service Center
- Who: All Fremont residents (whether you have curbside service or not).When: Dec. 26, 2012 to Jan. 31, 2013 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Cost: Compostable trees may be dropped off for free; there is a $5 charge to drop off a non-compostable tree.
- How: Take your Christmas tree to the Allied Waste Customer Service Center located at 42600 Boyce Rd. in Fremont.
- If you have any questions regarding pick-up or drop-off service, call Allied Waste at 657-3500.
3. Boy Scouts of America Pickup Service
- Who: All Fremont residents.When: Jan. 5, 2013
- Cost: $5 for compostable trees, $10 for non-compostable trees.
- How: Please make arrangements (see information above) with the Boy Scouts to have your tree picked up outside your residence (apartments included). All pick-up orders must be placed by Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013,using one of the following methods:
- A. Mail in the coupon [attached].
- B. Call the City’s Environmental Services Hotline to leave a phone registration message at 494-4580. The recorded message will prompt you for the necessary information.
If you choose to have the Boy Scouts pick up your tree, please do not place it anywhere near the gutter or on the sidewalk.
Instead, place your tree on your lawn, driveway, or other designated outdoor area (visible from the street) that you arrange with the Boy Scouts. Christmas Tree Composting information is also available at Fremont.gov/Environment.